Wednesday 13 January 2010

I've had a little make-over .....

..... well, no not me personally (though, goodness knows, I’m sure I could do with one) but here, on my blog! If you look up you will see that I’m trying out a new banner. Yes, I know, it’s a little dazzling, rather colourful – but I thought I’d have some creative fun with my camera and the paint program on my computer. I’m quite surprised what can be done, even by someone, like me, who knows next to nothing about these things!

You might be interested to know that the background I used when taking my picture was some lovely fabric that I am going to be using for the lining of a jacket I am planning. Here’s a closer look

I bought it from Gorgeous Fabrics and isn’t it, well, gorgeous? I just love shopping from Gorgeous Fabrics, I’m always so thrilled when my package arrives. At the moment my jacket is still very much in the research and development phase. I have some nice wool in ‘winter white’ (which has been in my stash for a while) that I am going to use as the outer fabric but I haven’t finally decided on the pattern. I have been looking through my huge pile of Burda magazines, because they have some really nice jacket designs, but I can’t make my mind up. I want something that’s easy to make but looks very chic and interesting. The holy grail of patterns - I don’t want much do I?

In the meantime, I am finishing off my Simplicity shift dress and will be posting pictures of that very soon.

17 comments:

  1. Love the new banner! That fabric IS gorgeous. I can't wait to see the jacket come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had any customs charges when ordering from the USA? I think technically, your order plus shipping must be no more than £36, which isn't much. This always puts me off. On the other hand, some people say that customs just never bothers with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new banner. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the typo.
    I wondered how you get on with shipping charges from Gorgeous fabric to the UK? I almost bought 2 1/2 yds of fabric but the shipping was $49 so I decided not to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You ARE a total dress addict!

    I just adore that lining (and the new blog look!). I've started a jacket, too (well, I've cut the pattern pieces). The DKNY Vogue one with the peter pan collar. I'll be interested to see your ongoing progress. We can commiserate together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the makeover!! Way to start off the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable banner. Always fun to have a new look!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks to everyone for your comments and questions.
    Hi Karin - to be honest I have no idea how the customs charges are calculated but I pay the customs/VAT to Parcel Force (who make the deliveries this end) and it usually isn't too much. I think my last large package was around £13. I also have to pay Parcel Force £8.00 handling fee - I think this is a flat rate because that's what they seem to charge me for any parcel I get from the U.S.
    Hi Elizabeth – Regarding shipping charges from Gorgeous Fabrics - as I understand it the fee first quoted for shipping is the very maximum and I have always received a refund once the cost of shipping the parcel is known - you are only charged the actual cost. I tend to order quite a few fabrics in one shipment and I find the total cost works out to be quite reasonable - and they do have some really lovely fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had that fabric in my shopping cart the last time I ordered. I needed to lower my total, so it had to leave my cart. Oh well. It looks beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty (colorful) header. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun with your blog. Love the lining for your jacket. I have something similar, waiting for a special jacket. Sew up something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the detailed info Eugenia. You make it sounds a lot less intimidating than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little makeover is a very good thing....and stuff from Gorgeous fabric is (briefly put), gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is gonna be some jacket you're planning to make. Serene white on the outside but a big surprise on the inside! I love the fabric and it's clever how you used it for your banner. Great make-over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your new banner. I've recently been experimenting with one for my blog. No luck yet. I'm inspired by yours so will have to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...