Friday 14 May 2010

I'm venturing into vintage!

As if I haven’t got enough current patterns in my stash, I have recently acquired some very nice vintage dress patterns. I thought that I would make a start with this ‘swinging sixties’ little shift dress, complete with neck bow.

I have pictured the pattern with the fabric that I am using – a Liberty print, double silk, called ‘Broadwick Flutterby’. This 2 metre piece of fabric was a super-lucky find at the bottom of the remnants bin in the Liberty store during one of their sales, at a cost of £19.98 (about 30 US Dollars), which is an excellent bargain. I am thinking that the overall effect should be very similar to View 2 (the one on the right on the pattern envelope above).


As it turns out, the sizing of this pattern is (almost) just right for me. It’s a Half Size – which my vintage Simplicity Sewing Book (dated 1958) tells me is “designed for a fully developed figure, shorter than the Miss-Woman, with larger waist, narrower shoulders”. Does that mean short and fat? Well, whatever, it fits my figure type rather well.

My flat pattern measurements told me I still needed to do an FBA and, after making a muslin, I raised the armholes to give me a bit more arm movement but then I was good to go. So, wish me luck, my first vintage dress is now under construction and I’m hoping to show you a picture very soon ………..

12 comments:

  1. This is such a cute pattern! I can see it on you!! And what a great buy on that fabric. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern looks lovely. Cant wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck!! I can't wait to see your result. It looks quite fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOooh! Great fabric match for that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see you in your vintage dresses! LOL on the misses's "half sizes"! Hey that describes my figure type as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. You can also post your vintage creations on www.sewretro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your exploration into vintage - I know this pattern, it was in my Mum's stash for years!
    I think that is partly why I love these old envelope patterns, it brings back memories of those childhood days rummaging through Mums fabrics and patterns with my sister, wondering what to make next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember wearing dresses like that. They were so comfortable. Your fabric is beautiful and such a bargain. Happy sewing. Gita

    ReplyDelete
  9. So very cute. I watched a British haunted house movie around Halloween last year, and the girls wore similar dresses. One had a sewing machine in her living room apt. I wish I could have seen what kind it was. I can't wait to see it, and in Liberty fabric. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun with your vintage pattern! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't the lure of vintage patterns irresistible? Your dress's shape is wonderfully classic. It will look fun in the Liberty print.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, that looks like a fun project!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...