Thursday 15 April 2010

Burda magazine quick and easy A-line skirt

Way back at the beginning of March I mentioned that I was making this skirt, pattern 104 from the February issue of Burda Style magazine

So, you might be wondering, where is it? Well, with all the distractions of my Miami vacation, an eagerness to complete my skirt with the bow and my kitchen remodelling project, I now realise that I have been holding out on you! I did indeed complete not one but two! of these skirts in a mad frenzy of sewing in the days prior to my vacation. Here is the first one

It’s made in a classic white cotton stretch sateen and I have lined it with a light weight nude coloured bemberg rayon (which is an excellent stash stand-by). The pattern doesn’t call for a lining but with a white fabric to be worn in the sunlight it’s usually a good idea. Here’s a picture of the lining

Because I liked the first one so much I was inspired to throw together another one made from some printed cotton I had left over from a dress. This one I didn’t line, so it was even quicker to make.


There’s nothing particularly exciting about this skirt pattern but it does make a great summer basic – it has handy cut-in pockets, a curved waistband and an A-line shape that’s very comfortable to wear. If you’re looking for a casual skirt and want it fast, I would definitely recommend giving this one a try.

Moving swiftly on to what’s happening right now. Most of my kitchen units have now been installed so I have been able to move enough boxes out of the living room to make some sewing space. In between talking to the electrician, plasterer, tiler, window blind installer, carpenter and floor layer I have been making a muslin for this blouse, pattern 105 from this month’s issue of Burda magazine.
The fit is looking good so I am hoping to complete it soon. In the meantime, if you are thinking of making this one, I do have a tip – check that you actually need to insert the side zip. With my muslin I discovered that I don’t – I can easily get it on (and off!) without one.

More soon

28 comments:

  1. Bautiful skirts, and thank for the info on the top. I have been looking at this month issue since I got it in, I really love the top...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both skirts are nice but I really like the pink cotton printed one! That one just says spring to me. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing your new Burda blouse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both skirts are lovely. It's so nice when you have really good classic simple pieces that can pretty much go with everything in your wardrobe.

    Thanks for the comment you left me about my jacket. By the way, I really like that top you are wearing with your white skirt. I can't wait to see your Burda blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute skirts... I love the classic styles! Can't wait to see your blouse... the line drawing is so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can definitely put together some fab skirts! I especially love the crisp white one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I particularly like your patterned version of the skirt. I can see how an off-white skirt would be very useful in the summer though. Fingers crossed that we do have a nice summer this year! :)

    I hope that you will post pictures of your kitchen when all the work is done. We re-did our kitchen 2 years ago. It was unpleasant while the work was going on, but it is lovely now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great new skirts. That Burda blouse is one of my favorite garments from that issue, can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A white skirt is so versatile! Love the print too.

    I really liked that top in the magazine--looks like a nicer version of the flounce blouse from last year. Can't wait to see your results.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great skirts! I love the pink one, but a white skirt in the summer is my go to outfit. Yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the skirts. This pattern is definitely a TNT. In fact, I think I have some stretch sateen floating around my stash that would be perfect for it. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love both your skirts but the white sateen one paired with the awesomely colored top is my favorite! I love white in the spring! You look so Fab in it! I need to add some A-Line skirts in my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are such great basics. I was just thinking this morning that I need more simple, workhorse skirts in my wardrobe. These are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrific skirts! Nice sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute skirt. I had the same one on 2 days ago. I would like to make that one again. Our windows are coming in 2 weeks, and we have to have everything off the windows and the outer walls before they get to our home. Thanks to a a nail, we had to get some emergency tires today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you have sewn two skirts in a short time! They look very werable and pretty! Can't wait to see your next project ' The blouse'!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this skirt - looks so nice and summery in the white too xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree its good to have cute summer basics in our wardrobes and I can see why you made it twice, both look great. I love that Burda blouse too and am into ruffles at the moment so I look forward to seeing your version.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a classic skirt. Both will be great spring additions to your wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great looking skirts! Hope the vacation was fun and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great skirts. I always find it amusing to see summer when I'm planning winter and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually bought this as a stand alone issue just for that skirt pattern. :) Both skirts are really cute and I forsee you getting lots of good use out of them. Btw, I also love seeing that paisley fabric again. I loved it as the dress and think it works equally as well for the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great skirts! I love white skirts in the summer, even though they are far from practical for someone who doesn't think about where she sits while playing with the little ones (yeah, that would be me). BUt oh well, for that we have a washing machine. I look forward to that top!

    ReplyDelete
  23. They both look great! Sometimes you just need some simple styles to go with everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the skirts. They really suit you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...