It's Simplicity 2798. To be truthful, it came out of my pattern drawer as a kind of lucky dip – I was looking for another one and this one got pulled out. I had forgotten all about it and was going to put it to one side when I took another look and thought …… why not? There are a lot of things I like about it – not least that it is one of those ones that has separate pieces for B, C and D cup sizes (I’ve had some good experiences with those). This will be the first dress I have made that has princess seams so I thought it would be good not to have to do an fba. I also like the shift style, and the yoke and pockets add some interest.
The fabric I’ve chosen is the dark grey wool crepe that I bought during my recent trip to New York. Now, here I have to tell you that I am feeling at least a little justified in having built up a large stash of different fabrics. The weather may have prevented me getting to fabric stores, or deliveries arriving at my door, but I still have plenty of fabrics to choose from!
I’m making the sleeveless version and, as it’s a Project Runway pattern, there are quite a lot of ‘designer additions’ you can choose from. I’m going to use the neck placket with three buttons and the side tabs, also with buttons and I’m going to add some topstitching. I’m aiming for a kind of neat, tailored look. At least, that’s the plan.
When I first looked at the picture on the envelope I thought, “oh it’s a shift dress by one of the Big 4 Companies, it will probably be HUGE”. However, when I got my tape measure to check the pattern pieces for the size I usually pick it didn’t seem to have excessive ease – in fact I added a little extra from the bust downwards just for insurance.
So, my muslin is, finally, in good shape - I hope my pattern lucky dip turns out to be a good choice!