and here is the back view:
As this pattern supplies separate pieces for B, C and D cup sizes it was pretty easy to fit. I cut a size 8 for the neck and shoulders, grading out to a size 12 and using the D cup front. After that all I had to do was raise the waistband.
Essentially I made View D, which has the tie neck, waistband and peplum but without the sleeves. The front pleats and waistband add some nice interest to the bodice -
As you can (hopefully) see in the above picture I used a different material for the tie, the waistband and the covered buttons. I know what you're now thinking: "ah hah, she ran out of material" but, actually, I didn't - I just decided to do it this way on a whim. Both materials are cotton lawn that I had in my stash and they don't match but I think they complement each other, sort of. With the flowery fabric and prim little tie neck I was going for an 'English country garden' effect.
Instead of using purchased bias binding for the armholes I made my own, which is very easy to do with this kind of fabric and looks much nicer (and costs nothing). Here's a picture of inside the armhole -
Hemming the peplum gave me a chance to use the narrow hem technique taught by Susan Khalje in the Top 10 Couture Techniques online class with Pattern Review that I have just completed. I'm very envious of those of you who have been to classes with Susan in person, and I know she is doing one at Gorgeous Fabrics soon, but as I'm several thousand miles away this was a great alternative. I'm very keen to try out all the other techniques the way she teaches them - I'm on a mission to upgrade my sewing skills.
Coming soon - a skirt, from Simplicity 2564, to go with this top ..........
I adore the blouse! The two fabrics are such a subtle contrast. It looks great together. I have been hoarding my Liberty London fabric for a year now...maybe it is time!ReplyDelete
I did notice a difference in fabric and I think looks great! You've achieved the look you were going for. Great blouse!ReplyDelete
You did a beautiful job on this blouse. I think the two fabrics compliment each other very well.ReplyDelete
It looks wonderful! I love the self bias strips you made for the armholes. This is a great pattern that I'm hoping to use soon.ReplyDelete
The understated contrast between the 2 patterns is great. It is noticeable - in a good way! It looks so well made. All of your projects do. Really love this. Cute buttons, too!ReplyDelete
I really love this blouse on you - I can see why it is your new favorite! The colors, too, are perfect for your complexion and make you glow! You definitely achieved your intention of an "English country garden effect."ReplyDelete
You really did do a great job with your color and contrast choices. It looks fabulous, especially paired with those buttons.ReplyDelete
Your blouse is lovely. Great fit and using the two fabrics adds just the right amount of interest/emphasis in the waist and at the neckline.ReplyDelete
It might be a simple top but is so well executed and pretty on you!ReplyDelete